D1baseball chat 2020 season

2,614 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JCooke93
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
February 17

Not me by the way

Wolfer: Nick Swiney had a great opening weekend. If he has the kind of year he is capable of, is he a first round/day draft pick?
Aaron Fitt: Yeah, I like him as a Day One guy, with a chance to be a first-rounder. I mean, he's a 6-foot-3 lefthander with a 90-94 fastball and the makings of two above-average to plus secondary pitches in the changeup and breaking ball what's not to like? Plus he had a ridiculous K rate last year, so I think the analytics guys will actually feel OK about his track record. He's really good

Wolfer79
Packfanatic96: What is your take on NC State's start to the season? How good is Devonte Brown looking batting behind Pat Bailey.
Aaron Fitt: I mentioned Brown briefly a bit ago I've always liked his bat speed and athleticism, it was just a matter of refining his approach at the plate, and the early returns are awfully encouraging. He could be this year's Brett Kinneman for the Wolfpack. I just think NC State is a very good, balanced club, and obviously they're off to a hot start. Look forward to seeing what they can do against stronger competition, starting this weekend in Minneapolis.

Wolfer79
I did not see NC State mentioned this week

Wolfer79

Nick: What is holding back Oklahoma State from being in the Top 25? I get five Ls this early is a concern but looking at NC State, , FSU and Long Beach it's hard to imagine why they aren't breaking the Top 25.
Kendall Rogers: Nick Oklahoma State has a solid club and no doubt Josh Holliday will have those guys playing at a high level at some point in Big 12 play, but OSU's marquee weekend right now is a series win over BYU, which has a losing record. NC State has taken care of business against everyone it has played until that Virginia series, and I'm not entirely sure your argument against Long Beach State. LBSU has played one of the nation's toughest schedules and has series wins against Wake Forest and Mississippi State. FSU is the one team with just an OK resume to me, but the Noles did beat FAU (who almost always is in the postseason) twice a couple of weekends ago

PackFan: Am I overreacting to start getting concerned about NC State's pitching beyond Nick Swiney? 30 runs allowed in 4 non Swiney starts the last 2 weeks. Mid relief has been shaky.
Aaron Fitt: Hmm. I'm not worried about Reid Johnston, he's a proven workhorse bulldog, and he'll be just fine; not dominant, but solid. They do need to figure out that Sunday spot I expected Chris Villaman to seize that job, but he scuffled, and then David Harrison struggled this weekend. I'd feel better about the state of that staff if Villaman could figure it out and become a reliable Sunday guy. As for the bullpen, I still like the depth and variety, but it's not like they're running a bunch of mid-90s guys at you like Florida is. The NC State guys just have to be sharp with their command to succeed. Ultimately, I think it is still a quality bullpen, but not an elite bullpen. Good enough to win a lot of games. Still feel good about the Wolfpack as a regional host-caliber club.
Pack31
Good take right there^ he knows his stuff.
JCooke93
One's R.Johnston29 And C.Villaman16 get healthy we will be fine
Wolfer79
JCooke93
I still can't believe it's Over
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.