2020 Atlanta Braves Thread

11,035 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by engineercoach
ShaggyWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I read a report today that said the Braves are one of 3 teams that have offered Josh Donaldson a 4 year deal. Hoping we start 2020 off on a positive note and get JD back in a Braves uniform.
metcalfmafia
Yep. I want JD back.

Riley isn't ready yet.
ShaggyWolf
Pack31
Hmmmm. I had heard us an Twins, 4 yrs/$110mil. Nats out based on last weeks signings. JD would put them over the luxury tax max salary.
ShaggyWolf
Folty ($6.425 M) and Dansby ($3.15 M) both avoid arbitration.
ShaggyWolf
JD to Twins. That hurts.
ShaggyWolf
The Braves just signed former Cardinals OF Marcell Ozuna to a 1 year $18 million dollar deal. There is our cleanup hitter.
ShaggyWolf
Wolfer79
2020 Nike Replica Jerseys are now available at the @Braves Clubhouse Store at @TruistPark!

Can't make it to the store? Request to purchase at https://t.co/sGS9KAPJsS! https://t.co/DTNZqhrnkB
ShaggyWolf
Cold Hamels felt some pain in his shoulder and will be re-evaluated in 3 weeks. Hoping this doesn't become anything serious.
metcalfmafia
Bump because the season starts NEXT WEEK.
ShaggyWolf
Kakes opting out, signed Puig, Hamels seems iffy if he will play, any other news I've missed?
Pack31
Pache nursing and ankle. Otherwise...we are on Freddie watch. Wonder hownhes doing,, if he will be back-door, and what kinda shape he's in. I'd anticipate some low scoring games early on with alot of teams going the piggy back style. Harder to get to a pitcher, less times you see em.

Also, DeGrom with back tightness, mri negative, day to day. In a 60 game season, would be nice to miss him 1 time. With Syndegaard out too
metcalfmafia
Pache (as well as Acuna) looked like he's added on some muscle. Was telling my buddy that he might get some run this year.

Definitely the CF of the future since Acuna insists on playing RF.
ShaggyWolf
metcalfmafia said:

Pache (as well as Acuna) looked like he's added on some muscle. Was telling my buddy that he might get some run this year.

Waters in left, Pache in center, and Acua in right is going to be a very fun outfield over the next few years.
metcalfmafia
ShaggyWolf said:

metcalfmafia said:

Waters in left, Pache in center, and Acua in right is going to be a very fun outfield over the next few years.

Waters is a switch hitter too, which automatically makes you a fan favorite in Braves country.

Two question marks about the future in my opinion:

1.) Can Riley harness his potential and lock down 3rd? When he's on he reminds me of Troy Glaus.

2.) Soroka and Fried look like they both have bright futures, but can we find that pivotal 3rd "ace" arm. That's what separated the Nationals in the playoffs.

Everywhere else I feel GREAT about. Maybe closer but I never worry about that.
Pack31
metcalfmafia said:

ShaggyWolf said:

metcalfmafia said:

Waters is a switch hitter too, which automatically makes you a fan favorite in Braves country.

1.) Can Riley harness his potential and lock down 3rd? When he's on he reminds me of Troy Glaus.

2.) Soroka and Fried look like they both have bright futures, but can we find that pivotal 3rd "ace" arm. That's what separated the Nationals in the playoffs.

That OF is gonna be alot of fun for a long time. I think Riley is a very smart, hard worker. I believe he take strides. Camargo stays as a Swiss knife too. I suspect Anderson will be the #3 at some point. Wright/Folty/Newcombe are all still young or in their prime too, and could find some consistency. We have some young fire ballers i hope can develop into the closers role soon....Webb, Jackson, Knoa
ShaggyWolf
metcalfmafia said:

ShaggyWolf said:

metcalfmafia said:

Here's to hoping Kyle Wright can be that guy.
metcalfmafia
Opening Day has arrived.

Nats vs Yankees

Dodgers vs Giants

Go Giants and Yankees (yuck)!
ShaggyWolf
metcalfmafia said:

Opening Day has arrived.

Nats vs Yankees

Dodgers vs Giants

Go Giants and Yankees (yuck)!

Soto out as he tests positive for COVID. Hate it for baseball but the Braves can gain some ground with him out.
metcalfmafia
Won't be the last big player to get it. Hope Will Smith gets back soon. Need him at closer.
Pack31
Yeah, haven't heard anything on Smith. I'm concerned about our rotation. We need Smith back to bookend the piggy backing. I dont trust Folty, Hamels will prob never pitch for us, Fried is still unproven, Newk is off, on, off, on, Wright just can't seem to to take that great stuff to the upper minors and Majors(he dominated the lower minors). Hell, Soroka is the only given we have really and hes what 22?

Hoping we can score 7+ runs per game. Also, didnt think Degrom would go today. Hmm.
metcalfmafia
Whomp.
ShaggyWolf
Tough L. But man, Soroka is so so good.
metcalfmafia
ShaggyWolf said:

Tough L. But man, Soroka is so so good.

I think we bounce back today. It's tough to win when DeGrom is on the bump.
metcalfmafia
Huge win tonight. Ozuna comes in clutch.
ShaggyWolf
Need this series win here today. Marlins are taking care of the Phillies for us right now.
metcalfmafia
ShaggyWolf said:

Need this series win here today. Marlins are taking care of the Phillies for us right now.

Marlins look improved. They made some good moves in the offseason to be at least competitive.
metcalfmafia
Acua looks really bad at the plate. Horrible plate discipline to start a year. He can't start the season slow like usual this year.
metcalfmafia
Well. Acua can do whatever he wants if the rest of the team hits like this. Holy *****
Pack31
metcalfmafia said:

Well. Acua can do whatever he wants if the rest of the team hits like this. Holy *****

Hitting is contagious. He will get it going soon.

I'm a little worried about the future of the season after the Marlin Covid outbreak in Philly forcing 2 cancelled games now.
Pack31
Pack31 said:

Yeah, haven't heard anything on Smith. I'm concerned about our rotation. We need Smith back to bookend the piggy backing. I dont trust Folty, Hamels will prob never pitch for us, Fried is still unproven, Newk is off, on, off, on, Wright just can't seem to to take that great stuff to the upper minors and Majors(he dominated the lower minors). Hell, Soroka is the only given we have really and hes what 22?

Hoping we can score 7+ runs per game. Also, didnt think Degrom would go today. Hmm.

And I quote myself for being spot on lol. Our rotation is concerning. And 7 runs wouldnt have gotten it either
Civilized
DFA'ing Folty after one start is a crazy turn of events. He's looked really bad or unhealthy so far, no doubt, but this guy was an All Star two years ago and started a playoff game last October.

Fried was dealing tonight! Perfect heading into six, finishes giving up one in 6-2/3. I really like what we've got going if a strong third starter can emerge.
metcalfmafia
Civilized said:

DFA'ing Folty after one start is a crazy turn of events. He's looked really bad or unhealthy so far, no doubt, but this guy was an All Star two years ago and started a playoff game last October.

Fried was dealing tonight! Perfect heading into six, finishes giving up one in 6-2/3. I really like what we've got going if a strong third starter can emerge.

Tonight felt like a big win. Back with a winning record and Fried looked like a second ace. Acua is getting better contact but still looks late on fastballs.
Civilized
metcalfmafia said:

Civilized said:

Tonight felt like a big win. Back with a winning record and Fried looked like a second ace. Acua is getting better contact but still looks late on fastballs.

Acuna and Ozzie aren't in rhythm yet for sure. Good thing Dansby is mashing and Ozuna and Freehugs are seeing it well, too.

Ozuna was such a huge get after JD went to Minny. I'm still bummed, on top of being a really good hitter, JD seemed like a veteran clubhouse tone-setter to me. Plus he had a case of the red-ass, and every team needs at least one guy to bring some attitude to the ballpark. Ozuna's not that guy but if he can just replace JD's bat we'll be alright.

Soroka and Fried anchoring the rotation is gonna be fun. Luke Jackson's stuff looks filthy.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.