Technician story on Avent tenure and future at NC State

4,688 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by metcalfmafia
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JCooke93
Unfortunately They Are Not Wrong
Struttingwolf96
Speaks the truth & it doesn't mention anything about the facilities causing the epic collapses. Some are gonna bring it up again though.
metcalfmafia
Struttingwolf96 said:

Speaks the truth & it doesn't mention anything about the facilities causing the epic collapses. Some are gonna bring it up again though.
What do you suggest we do in order to become more successful as a baseball program?
Struttingwolf96
One thing is have the Head coach make better in game decisions.
metcalfmafia
Like what?
Struttingwolf96
There's been plenty over the years. One was just in the story a ove where Avent pulled Parker after what 2 innings another was starting McArthur in RF & then in the same game I believe pinched hit 3 straight times in a row for guys whose batting average was lower than the guys they were hitting for. Others on here can probably have more or better examples on poor coaching in game management.
basementwolf
Struttingwolf96 said:

There's been plenty over the years. One was just in the story a ove where Avent pulled Parker after what 2 innings another was starting McArthur in RF & then in the same game I believe pinched hit 3 straight times in a row for guys whose batting average was lower than the guys they were hitting for. Others on here can probably have more or better examples on poor coaching in game management.
Pulling Preston Palmeiro in the ACCT game in Greensboro was one I remember as a real head scratcher.
basementwolf
metcalfmafia said:

Struttingwolf96 said:

What do you suggest we do in order to become more successful as a baseball program?
People, others than us diehards who go currently go to games, aren't going to start caring about baseball or give more money for improvements until a change is made in coaching. They might not then, but they definitely aren't now.
metcalfmafia
I'll just say this again. You guys would be surprised by how far this program has to fall.

The performance of the program far exceeds the investments of the Athletic Department / University.
Dr Wire
Not hosting a Regional this year when the head of the committee was a NC State baseball coach and is personal friend of the current coach is also a head scratcher. Program needs to show every bit of revenue it can, especially with new eyeballs in town.

I feel like we are where unX was when they finally fired Roberts and hired Fox about 20 years ago. We are what we are in baseball unless something changes.
CLTWolf
Dr Wire said:

Not hosting a Regional this year when the head of the committee was a NC State baseball coach and is personal friend of the current coach is also a head scratcher. Program needs to show every bit of revenue it can, especially with new eyeballs in town.

I feel like we are where unX was when they finally fired Roberts and hired Fox about 20 years ago. We are what we are in baseball unless something changes.

Do you know why they fired Roberts?

Nothing to do with performance. Well, not on the field anyways...

I should also add that unc called it a "resignation" but he was fired.
89_Grad
Dr Wire said:

As a long time season ticket holder who actually therefore has to watch this team a lot, I'd say that is a good analogy. Actually, the season ticket base of folks that actually show up has dwindled to the baseball diehards who have become resigned to the standard late season collapses, roster mismanagement, and bizarre substitution decisions.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
Sheriff Shively
Hire a young up and comer - preferably one who is cerebral, rather than an emotional hothead who makes boneheaded, rash decisions repeatedly that cost games?

metcalfmafia said:

Struttingwolf96 said:

metcalfmafia
Sheriff Shively said:

Hire a young up and comer - preferably one who is cerebral, rather than an emotional hothead who makes boneheaded, rash decisions repeatedly that cost games?

metcalfmafia said:

Struttingwolf96 said:

Ahhhh ok that will do it then. Please bring forth the cerebral, young up and comer who will take our program to the next level.

That next level being top 10 in the country, ACC Championship winner, and perennial CWS contender. Also, this person has to be willing to maintain top 25 program status with top 100 level facilities.
CLTWolf
Good luck getting that answer...
Sheriff Shively
I'm not the AD getting paid +400k to evaluate the market and find that coach, but I'm fairly certain someone fitting the profile is out there. Hell we have a swimming coach who has built a top 5 program with worse facilities.

metcalfmafia said:

Sheriff Shively said:

metcalfmafia said:

Struttingwolf96 said:

Ahhhh ok that will do it then. Please bring forth the cerebral, young up and comer who will take our program to the next level.

That next level being top 10 in the country, ACC Championship winner, and perennial CWS contender. Also, this person has to be willing to maintain top 25 program status with top 100 level facilities.
CLTWolf
See...told ya.
metcalfmafia
Sheriff Shively said:

I'm not the AD getting paid +400k to evaluate the market and find that coach, but I'm fairly certain someone fitting the profile is out there. Hell we have a swimming coach who has built a top 5 program with worse facilities.

metcalfmafia said:

Sheriff Shively said:

metcalfmafia said:

Struttingwolf96 said:

Yow found an alumni in Holloway that was willing to take on that challenge and heck it worked out!

You willing to put your bets down that that would happen the same way for the baseball program or you think that was just one heck of an anomaly? This all assuming there is an alumni out there that is college baseball coaching material.

I know you're not an AD getting paid +400k, but humor me here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.