Wolfpack Baseball - 2020 (1-0,0-0)

122,696 Views | 667 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JCooke93
Ripper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We definitely lose Edwards, Wilson, and Clenney. Not many of the other draft eligible players seem worthy of selection, but it's possible we could lose a few more (Feeney?, Klyman?, Parker?).

Does (SP) Logan Bender, transfer from Campbell who is currently at Juco, ever make it to campus? Or did he do enough at Juco this season to get selected?

Will either of the 2 highly rated pitching recruits make it to campus? Maybe 1?

C - Bailey, Debo, Tresh
IF - Cooper, Brown, Vazquez, Jarrett, Mensik
OF - McArthur, Tatum, Butler, Thomas, McDonough, Chlup

Lots of returning pitching, but few standouts. Swiney finished strong. Could be a starter. Feeney did well in relief. Wish he could be a starter, but that may not be in the cards. Johnston and Parker were decent. Klyman and Cotter were decent. Harrison looks to have potential. Need others to emerge.

We lose our 2 best hitters. We overachieved in 2019. Without major upgrades/improvement from multiple players, I feel we'll take small step back next season, record wise. Without knowing the schedule, I'd say no 40 win season, but enough remaining talent to sniff .500 in the league. NCAA bubble. 3 seed or just left out.
Wolfer79
Cooper was recognized on Senior Day so I think he will not return.

Valquez situation seems weird, not sure if hurt or left program since Avent since prior to regional he went home before regional

I think Tresh moves to 1b in 2020
metcalfmafia
Wolfer79 said:

Cooper was recognized on Senior Day so I think he will not return.

Valquez situation seems weird, not sure if hurt or left program since Avent since prior to regional he went home before regional

I think Tresh moves to 1b in 2020

Tresh to 1b would be a great move.
Ripper
Possible lineup/batting order:

Butler - LF
Brown - SS
McDonough - CF
Bailey - C
Tresh - 1B
Debo - DH
Vazquez - 2B
Mensik - 3B
Tatum - LF

CLTWolf
Great post (can I say that? Lol)

This is a great convo to be had after draft IMO. If we somehow get Walston on campus then he should be a weekend guy. Do we try to stretch out Swiney? He's been looking more comfortable throwing more than 50-60 pitches. If he can land in the rotation then that's a plus arm there.
Guys like Debo, Bienlien, Barger and Parker will be gone if drafted. Barger passed up a nice chunk of change to come here, he won't do it again.

If we can get Pace and Willadsen on campus that's two more good young arms as well. I hope SS Jose Torres from MD makes it as well. He's supposed to be the real deal and could be a nice replacement for Wilson.

We have a JUCO 1B Austin Murr from an Iowa Jc that's supposed to be a nice hitter.

Logan Bender should make it in but who knows what these guys want to do (school or pro ball). CVCC doesn't exactly play great competition. I don't think Bender is hitting 90s plus like the Smith kid from there last year. Would be nice to have him.

Good post to start the discussion Rip.
Andrew4343
Who among our returning players other then bailey can be a stud hitter?
CLTWolf
Andrew4343 said:

Tyler McDonough is already a stud.
Ripper
Andrew4343 said:

McDonough had a great Fr season. He's already there, IMO.
EthanBarry
Staff
Andrew4343 said:

Tresh
wolfpack1437
EthanBarry said:

Andrew4343 said:

Tresh
Hopefully he works hard over the summer on hitting breaking balls. He definitely has the power part
EthanBarry
Staff
This is the biggest draft for State in years. More recruits than usual are on the radar. Villaman and Walston are the two big ones. CLT knows more about those guys than I do. Then you've got guys like Parker, Klyman, Feeney, Beinlien, Barger, Debo who are all draft eligible and each have an interesting case. You could be looking at a team with basically the whole staff coming back or a complete rebuild
Colonel Armstrong
Should be a solid team that lacks star power. It's good to read that we have a lot of incoming freshmen talent, hopefully those guys make it to campus.

We'll really need a couple pitchers to step up. I think Swiney could definitely be one, he looked awesome in most games this year. Johnston should be a good option too. Beinlien would be a huge X factor if he could finally put it all together.
Formerly King Leary
CLTWolf
I don't mean this in a negative way but it might be best for Beinlein to get drafted and move on to the minors. He's got a plus arm but needs to work on his craft every day if the light is ever gonna come on.
BigLefty24
Was talking with James earlier today about Walston. Had a chance to see him first hand this weekend at the state championship game. He hit 94 in the first inning, and has a Bugs Bunny slider.. He's projected as a top 50 draftee. In talking with some of the New Hanover folks, the concensus amongst most of them was that Walston really wants to go to college at State, and pro teams might have a hard time trying to sign him.

Take that with a grain of salt.. I'm sure that's easy to say until you start hearing top 50'ish money figures being thrown at you, but the Hanover folks I talked to seemed to think there's a good chance he actually does make it to State. Would be a huge addition to the staff if true.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

EthanBarry
Staff
cof17wolf said:

Should be a solid team that lacks star power.
Patrick Bailey might be the best player in college baseball next year.
EthanBarry
Staff
BigLefty24 said:

Was talking with James earlier today about Walston. Had a chance to see him first hand this weekend at the state championship game. He hit 94 in the first inning, and has a Bugs Bunny slider.. He's projected as a top 50 draftee. In talking with some of the New Hanover folks, the concensus amongst most of them was that Walston really wants to go to college at State, and pro teams might have a hard time trying to sign him.

Take that with a grain of salt.. I'm sure that's easy to say until you start hearing top 50'ish money figures being thrown at you, but the Hanover folks I talked to seemed to think there's a good chance he actually does make it to State. Would be a huge addition to the staff if true.
Do not get me excited like that bro. From your mouth to God's ears
BigLefty24
One other thing.. If you're Trot Nixons son, I would suggest not arguing with the home plate umpire. Trot doesn't take kindly to it.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

CLTWolf
BigLefty24 said:

All of the National guys are saying the same thing about Walston. Keith Law, etc keeps bringing up signability as an issue with Walston and this isn't the first time that I've heard he really wants to go to college either. Huge is an understatement if he ends up on campus.
Colonel Armstrong
EthanBarry said:

cof17wolf said:

Should be a solid team that lacks star power.
Patrick Bailey might be the best player in college baseball next year.

I could see Bailey and McDonough being really great players next year.
Formerly King Leary
Colonel Armstrong
When was the last time we had a big time prospect that skipped going directly pro? Not sure if Turner or Rodon we're highly regarded coming out of high school.
Formerly King Leary
CLTWolf
cof17wolf said:

When was the last time we had a big time prospect that skipped going directly pro? Not sure if Turner or Rodon we're highly regarded coming out of high school.

Turner wasn't a huge prospect out of HS tho he did get drafted really late. Story was he only had an offer from Chris Hart's bro at FAU then Hart saw him at a showcase and offered. Trea picked us over FAU. Carlos played hurt his SR year and wanted more money than offered. If he doesn't get hurt we likely never see Carlos in the red and white. That same class had Brett Austin turn down a million dollar signing bonus to go to college as well. Brett's bro went to Elon and was drafted so they knew the drill.
I'd have to go back and look but I don't think many if any chose school over MLB that weren't likely to since that class.
Ripper
Was John Creel injured this past season? He's playing for Holly Springs in the CPL this summer.

Also, Logan Bender was not drafted, so I guess he makes it Raleigh in August.
JCooke93
We got very Lucky in the 2019 MLB Draft
JCooke93
Ripper said:

Was John Creel injured this past season? He's playing for Holly Springs in the CPL this summer.

Also, Logan Bender was not drafted, so I guess he makes it Raleigh in August.
yes he was
gopack1979
Avent is not going anywhere any time soon. Doak renovations coming as well.
metcalfmafia
gopack1979 said:

Tell me more.
JCooke93
gopack1979 said:

I hope so
89_Grad
metcalfmafia said:

gopack1979 said:

Tell me more.
THere isn't really anything else to tell. "Avent's top secret baseball facilities slush fund" has been a fable propounded on here and other boards by Avent supporters for years. Like the Easter Bunny, don't expect to actually see it, and, if you do, check yourself to make sure you haven't been drinking or consuming other substances heavily...
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
CLTWolf
89_Grad said:

metcalfmafia said:

gopack1979 said:

Tell me more.
THere isn't really anything else to tell. "Avent's top secret baseball facilities slush fund" has been a fable propounded on here and other boards by Avent supporters for years. Like the Easter Bunny, don't expect to actually see it, and, if you do, check yourself to make sure you haven't been drinking or consuming other substances heavily...

You practicing being mad fan for when Boo extends Avent? Lol
Ripper
gopack1979 said:

Avent has 2 years left on his current contract, expires after the 2021 season. So yes, he is not going anywhere anytime soon.

What are the Doak renovations? Are they Stadium/fan experience related or player facility enhancements or both? When does ground break? Instead of being coy, please let us in on these renovations.
PackFansXL
gopack1979 said:

These rad new posters will blow your mind!
CLTWolf
PackFansXL said:

gopack1979 said:

These rad new posters will blow your mind!

Just wait until Boo extends Avent soon and people's heads explode. Lol
gopack1979
Plans are now in the works. I'll let you know more when the plans are complete. Have to start over. Elliott is getting the benefit of the doubt that many on here believe he deserves. We'll see how it plays out. I don't expect a long term extension but I expect some sort of shorter term extension. PackFansXL, I've been on this site from day 1, why am I getting the new guy treatment?
CLTWolf
gopack1979 said:

Plans are now in the works. I'll let you know more when the plans are complete. Have to start over. Elliott is getting the benefit of the doubt that many on here believe he deserves. We'll see how it plays out. I don't expect a long term extension but I expect some sort of shorter term extension. PackFansXL, I've been on this site from day 1, why am I getting the new guy treatment?

I've known gopack1979 since around 1998 or so. He's legit good people.
PackFansXL
I was joking about posters as upgrades like the thread about CF upgrades. LOL

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.