Analytics Applied to MLB Umpires - Findings?

1,938 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wilmwolf
PackFansXL
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Link

Quote:

This article is based on 11 seasons of Major League Baseball data, almost 4 million pitches culled and analyzed over two months by Boston University master lecturer Mark T. Williams and a team of graduate students at the Questrom School of Business experienced in data mining, analytics, and statistics.

This deep-dive analysis demonstrated that MLB umpires make certain incorrect calls at least 20 percent of the time or one in every five calls. Research results revealed clear two-strike bias and pronounced strike zone blind spots. Less-experienced younger umpires in their prime routinely outperformed veterans, and umpires selected in recent World Series were not the best performers. Results showed a declining but still unacceptably high BCR score, but on a positive note, only a marginal inter-inning call inconsistency. Findings also identified new and rising star umpires and highlighted the pressing need to recruit higher performers.
This is a fairly long and detailed article showing there are ample opportunities for MLB to improve its product. Although the article doesn't emphasize existing improvements, the data does show umps are getting better, but several additional improvements should be considered. I would love it if we could get access to similar data for ACC officials in football, basketball, and baseball.
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That's pretty consistent with my thoughts across all sports. It's not necessarily that there is a bias in favor or against certain teams, but that there is at least an unconscious bias that happens in certain situations, such as with two strikes. Also the over-reliance on aging, "experienced" officials. I don't think you have to be a young, world class athlete to officiate, but you should at least be able to get up and down the floor. More than anything, with regards to the ACC for myself, I would like to see three things:

1. Make college officials full time employees.
2. Make the process transparent with regards to how officials job performance is evaluated.
3. Make officials answer for their calls to the media after the game.

Do that, and the majority of my complaints go away.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.