Baseball 4/12-14 vs Louisville (time change Saturday)

16,572 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by pack4life11
Struttingwolf96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Make it 2-0. Here we go time for reality to sink back in to us Wolfpack fans.
78wilsonpack
Nope, time for a 2019 come back.
LegacyPack4
REFUSE TO TAKE ADVANTAGE.....AGAIN
LegacyPack4
And again.....based loaded w/ no outs. Just comical at this point
Ncsu67
What happened to this team? Maybe they weren't that good to start with and were exposed by good UL team.
dmelvin
Series reminded me of UNC here last year .
Struttingwolf96
It's called being NC State. They can never get out of their own way. Always find a way to mess something up, start with a bang finish with a dud, or vice versa. Lord I hope this team proves me wrong & bounces back from these last few sorry outings. Hope by the time they go up against Clemson & unc they get this slump out of their system or this year will be just like the rest at the end.
fhstatefan43
dmelvin said:

Series reminded me of UNC here last year .
Yep! Eerily similar
Pack31
From #1 to unranked in 2 weeks....only at NC state man. Just joking, but damn we need to right this ship. She sinkin
ciscopack
Don't be so wimpy; it's baseball. We have a good team...how good, we'll find out.
wilmwolf
Nobody does the sky is falling like Pack fans. Some of the stuff I've seen on Twitter is shameful. It was a sucky weekend, but it doesn't negate what was done before it nor dictate what will happen after. Just have to regroup and get back at it.
EthanBarry
Staff
wilmwolf80 said:

Nobody does the sky is falling like Pack fans. Some of the stuff I've seen on Twitter is shameful. It was a sucky weekend, but it doesn't negate what was done before it nor dictate what will happen after. Just have to regroup and get back at it.
On and off the baseball bandwagon in two weeks, an NC State fan tradition
PackFansXL
We just need to regroup and finish the season. The postseason is the only thing that matters anyway. Go Pack Baseball!!
Struttingwolf96
I'll tell you a real NC State tradition. Being a patient & loyal fan for over 30 years & not having ONE championship of any kind in football, baseball, & basketball. Bandwagon fan my ***. Some Pack fans are tired of settling for mediocrity & being told we should be happy, smh. Proud of the team for starting the year off breaking school records & playing great, but guess what won't anyone remember that if they falter down at the end & blow a opportunity AGAIN to have a special season. I hope they do make me eat crow, but from past experiences from other teams, idk.
Wolfpack8602
EthanBarry said:

wilmwolf80 said:

On and off the baseball bandwagon in two weeks, an NC State fan tradition

I think most fans are used to NC State baseball folding in mid to late april.
EliteFlamer
In the Turner/Rodon era, it took us the first half plus of the season to start putting it all together. This year and last however, we started off hot, then faltered in the second half, and obviously last year we puttered out with early outs in the ACCT and NCAAT.

This year, the cold streak is starting earlier than last (and obviously we peaked much higher), so hopefully we can turn it around by postseason play.
ciscopack
Struttingwolf96 said:

I'll tell you a real NC State tradition. Being a patient & loyal fan for over 30 years & not having ONE championship of any kind in football, baseball, & basketball. Bandwagon fan my ***. Some Pack fans are tired of settling for mediocrity & being told we should be happy, smh. Proud of the team for starting the year off breaking school records & playing great, but guess what won't anyone remember that if they falter down at the end & blow a opportunity AGAIN to have a special season. I hope they do make me eat crow, but from past experiences from other teams, idk.
Maybe we just fall flat on our face? What were you expecting for this team in February, to this date? Top 10 ranking? 29 wins in 37 games? ACC 2nd place? More wins than anyone in the NCAA other than 1 team? If that's what you expected, you were correct and on target!
metcalfmafia
The baseball board used to be my sanctuary.
wilmwolf
The thing I find amusing is that people think that what a past team did had any effect on what the current team does. People say NC State "always" does this or that. But each team is different, each has different players, different strengths and weaknesses. Maybe, just maybe, the only continuity from one season to the next is ****ty fans waiting, hoping for an opportunity to piss and moan. Players see and hear it. Jason Parker tweeted about it yesterday. We've all waited thirty years, nobody gets a cookie for that. It's what you're supposed to do. Support the team through thick and thin. If you're tired of doing that, go find another team.
metcalfmafia
wilmwolf80 said:

The thing I find amusing is that people think that what a past team did had any effect on what the current team does. People say NC State "always" does this or that. But each team is different, each has different players, different strengths and weaknesses. Maybe, just maybe, the only continuity from one season to the next is ****ty fans waiting, hoping for an opportunity to piss and moan. Players see and hear it. Jason Parker tweeted about it yesterday. We've all waited thirty years, nobody gets a cookie for that. It's what you're supposed to do. Support the team through thick and thin. If you're tired of doing that, go find another team.
Feel free to copy this to every board.
Wolfpack
wilmwolf80 said:

Exactly. Our group certainly doesn't understand the ebbs and flows of regular season play. The only sport where a bad couple weeks matters is football. We like so much pressure on these kids with the "haven't won jack in 30 years" charade. It's not their fault! Get back at it Pack 9. They'll be just fine.
pack4life11
Players change...the coach, always stays the same. Look, I'm as happy as anybody with how we started the season, but anybody who knows baseball and who knows how Avent coaches knows we're gonna take the 4-5 seed in the ACC tournament and be a weak 1, strong 2 in the NCAA and flirt with the chance of advancing to a super regional. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

One play stood out to me this weekend more so than any other. It was the inning before Louisville our up there 9 spot on Saturday. 1 out, runners on first and second, Louisville has a left handed hitter at the plate...double steal. With a left handed hitter at the plate. Avent has absolutely no idea how to play small ball, never has. He doesn't teach it. The only way State moves runners is by stringing together hits or hitting homers. One time in my life can I sit back and think, "damn Avent, good call." 2013 against rice in the 17th when he sent Senay on a hit and run with Williams at the plate. Totally uncharacteristic for Avent to move a runner like that in that situation and guess what....it paid off and Senay scored the winning run.!you have to put pressure on defenses and make them make plays. Avent doesn't do that. He doesn't scheme. Other than rotating pitchers every other batter, the man could be a a hat rack. How many times have we had the bases loaded with no outs and not a single run crosses the plate. THAT CANT HAPPEN. Manufacture runs, advance runners, play small ball...that's how you win championships.
EthanBarry
Staff
pack4life11 said:

Players change...the coach, always stays the same. Look, I'm as happy as anybody with how we started the season, but anybody who knows baseball and who knows how Avent coaches knows we're gonna take the 4-5 seed in the ACC tournament and be a weak 1, strong 2 in the NCAA and flirt with the chance of advancing to a super regional. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

One play stood out to me this weekend more so than any other. It was the inning before Louisville our up there 9 spot on Saturday. 1 out, runners on first and second, Louisville has a left handed hitter at the plate...double steal. With a left handed hitter at the plate. Avent has absolutely no idea how to play small ball, never has. He doesn't teach it. The only way State moves runners is by stringing together hits or hitting homers. One time in my life can I sit back and think, "damn Avent, good call." 2013 against rice in the 17th when he sent Senay on a hit and run with Williams at the plate. Totally uncharacteristic for Avent to move a runner like that in that situation and guess what....it paid off and Senay scored the winning run.!you have to put pressure on defenses and make them make plays. Avent doesn't do that. He doesn't scheme. Other than rotating pitchers every other batter, the man could be a a hat rack. How many times have we had the bases loaded with no outs and not a single run crosses the plate. THAT CANT HAPPEN. Manufacture runs, advance runners, play small ball...that's how you win championships.
Lot to unpack here but I'll just say, small ball is absolutely not how you win championships. When Louisville hits 30 singles in 10 games, yeah it's easy to play small ball. When it's the kind of weekend where you have more bunt singles than home runs and you score 35 runs, you make a lot of teams look bad
wilmwolf
Avent used to be roundly criticized for how much small ball we played. Maybe you weren't following the team back then, but it was an oft repeated criticism that he took the bat out of guy's hands too much. It was considered his worst attribute as a coach.

Coming into this weekend, Louisville was a mediocre offensive team at best. They had guys that were under. 200 have three hit, four RBI games. I don't see how you can pin that on the coach. Coming into the weekend, we were the best fielding team in the country. You want the pitchers to pitch to contact and let that defense do what it does. But they didn't have a good fielding weekend, and Louisville hit an unheard of number of bloopers and seeing eye grounders. Can you blame the coach for that? How many times did we load the bases with some of our best hitters up and end up with nothing to show for it? Don't you think someone like Bailey knows that bases loaded no outs, he just needs to putt something in the outfield to drive in a run, but he strikes out. Is that the coach's fault?

The coach has coached the team to the second best record in the country, so I find it real hard to be super critical. People say we always do this, or we always do that, but do you honestly think that the coach forgets how to coach 40 games into the year? Does he sit in the team room and say, okay fellas, I know we've played amazing, but let's lose a few to make it hard on ourselves. I don't agree with everything we do in every situation, but the coaches know a helluva lot more about baseball, and our team, than I do. Players slump, teams slump. Look around the country, look around our division. The idea that Avent does this same mysterious something every season that somehow causes the team not to meet your expectations is ****ing absurd.
EliteFlamer
Uhhh yeah if anything Avent plays small way too much.

Statistically, bunting makes only makes sense if you have a pitcher batting. And that's at the MLB level where offensive numbers aren't as good.

Giving away an out rarely if ever makes sense in NCAA
wilmwolf
Um, yeah, we don't play small ball too much either. As someone that has watched every pitch this year, I can count on two hands the number of times we've attempted a sacrifice bunt. We have guys that attempt bunts for hits, but rarely do we ever sacrifice, and that's because we are in the top ten of virtually ever single offensive category in the country. I think coming into the weekend we were tops in the conference in doubles and second in homers. We play to our strengths. If we had a team that needed to play small ball, we would, because the staff isn't stupid. But if you ask a guy to lay down a sacrifice that has not bunted all year, you probably aren't going to like the results. Louisville does it well, because they do it all the time. Just like we hit for extra bases well, because that's our identity. Baseball is about numbers as much or more than any other sport. You shift a guy based on statistical date, and then he hits one opposite field where nobody is, you tip your cap. You put the infield at double play depth and the pitcher gets a ground ball, but it gets past the diving glove of the shortstop, you tip your cap. All year we've been able to flip momentum on teams by getting guys on base and getting big hits, top to bottom in the lineup. We didn't do that this weekend, and Louisville had a statistically improbable hitting weekend, so we lost.
metcalfmafia
LOLOLOL I remember how Avent played small ball way too much. Now not enough.
pack4life11
Avent played too much small ball when the bats were juiced and that's what everyone was upset with. Fact is, people were upset because we weren't manufacturing runs in tough spots...just like right now. Now that you don't have that (yes I know we have Wilson, Bailey, Edwards, etc who are capable of launching the ball on any pitch), You have to know how to play small ball. My major point is that Avent is not good at manufacturing runs and making something happen without relying on the big fly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.