2019 Atlanta Braves Thread

10,725 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ShaggyWolf
metcalfmafia
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Opening Day baby! Teheran, Bryse Wilson (Brother of Payton Wilson), and Kyle Wright on the bump this series.
KKandDD
First five starters ages: 28, 21, 23, 25, 25. Pretty wild.

Decent offseason for Braves - extending Markakis one more year was a good move given he doesn't cost much. I like the Donaldson pickup too. Would have loved to pick up one more arm a la Keuchel or someone else - even a solid long reliever - because the NL east will be a hell of a lot more tough to win this year than it was last year.

Will look for Albies to get back in his first half of 2018 shape. Should be a fun year!
metcalfmafia
I think Swanson is going to finally put it all together this year for us. He looked great in the spring.
BobbyCox95
Really holding my breath for Donaldson. If he can return to form he could make this lineup about as dangerous as anyone.
KKandDD
Not an ideal start. Bats need to get going and need our pitching staff at 100% health
metcalfmafia
That was as painful of an opening series as you could imagine.

Need to bounce back against the Cubbies at home tonight on ESPN.
KKandDD
Make my day and tell me it won't be the same god-awful announcing crew from last night.
Riddickulous
Wish we'd go with Acuna in the leadoff spot.
Riddickulous
*Shuts mouth*
metcalfmafia
This is much better.
metcalfmafia
The win column feels nice!
KKandDD
I do find it interesting Snitker has flipped back to this order. Acuna really took off last year when he moved to leadoff. I think it allowed him to be more aggressive at the plate.

If Albies gets in a groove I'd love to see him back in the 2 spot. That would be a tough first four.
metcalfmafia
Bobby Cox suffered a stroke yesterday.
KKandDD
Shame about Cox. Hopefully a full recovery.

Whoever worked on Dansby's swing over the offseason deserves a raise. Between last week of ST and tonight he's not hit three opposite field HR's.
metcalfmafia
KKandDD said:

Shame about Cox. Hopefully a full recovery.

Whoever worked on Dansby's swing over the offseason deserves a raise. Between last week of ST and tonight he's not hit three opposite field HR's.

This lineup against lefties is killer.
KKandDD
Big one tonight against Darvish - I'm thinking Freeman is due for his first bomb.
metcalfmafia
Good series win against the Marlins. Hopefully Flowers is able to come back soon and we aren't relying on Austin Jackson.
metcalfmafia

This feels like absolute robbery.
wilmwolf
I don't follow MLB much any more, other than tracking Pack players, but I came across this video last night and it kinda fits in this thread. In my younger days I was really big into baseball and played up through high school. Like most people in this area, I pulled for the Braves, and went to quite a few games in my teenage years. One of those games was the night this fire happened in the old Fulton County Stadium. Myself, a good friend, and our families were there for the weekend to catch games and see the sights in Atlanta, We got to the stadium early that evening, watched BP and were in the stadium when the fire broke out. By the time they cleared out the stadium, put out the fire, restarted everything and played the game, I think it was well after midnight by the time it was decided. Somewhere in a box of baseball memorabilia I have some newspapers from the next day with the front page story and also our ticket stubs. Unique memory from the past I thought I'd share.

metcalfmafia
BTTT because the Baby Braves are playing well with the addition of Riley.
843wolfpacker
Cox released from hospital to a rehab facility on Monday
metcalfmafia
Went to bed last night thinking we had the win....then Luke Jackson happened.
843wolfpacker
Go use some of that cash we got back from Seattle to get Kimbrel
MovingPacker
metcalfmafia said:

Went to bed last night thinking we had the win....then Luke Jackson happened.
He didn't pitch that bad just unlucky. Four singles in a row.
KKandDD
Man, this team could be special over the next 2-3 years if investments are made on the pitching staff. The lineup with Riley added is really damn good.

Albies is struggling from the left side. I'm wondering if he doesn't go permanent righty before too long.
metcalfmafia
BTTT because Payton Wilson's brother, Bryse Wilson is pitching against Chicago today.

Gave up a leadoff homer...
JocoPack
Tough pitching matchup last night. Nola had his A-game.
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
Pack31
Offense is really clicking. Having Ozzie in the 7/8 hole is crazy and great at the same time. What will they do when Enciarte is back after the break. Try to move him for an arm?
metcalfmafia
Pack31 said:

Offense is really clicking. Having Ozzie in the 7/8 hole is crazy and great at the same time. What will they do when Enciarte is back after the break. Try to move him for an arm?
You gotta trade Ender. Maybe have him in the deal that brings Madbum?
Pack31
metcalfmafia said:

Pack31 said:

You gotta trade Ender. Maybe have him in the deal that brings Madbum?

Agree. I wanna win THIS year, but cant help but look forward to next year with an outfield of Acuna, Pache and Waters. Keep Markakis as a tudor and Camargo as the 4th outfielder. Riley to natiural 3rd. Possibly resign McCann 1 more season till the drafted catcher is ready. Culbertson as thenoenna everything guy on the bench.

Lineup:

Acuna
Swanson
Freeman
Riley
Albies
Flowers/Cann
Pache
Waters/Kaks

Still a lot of youth in key spots but hell, Kaks, Freddie, McCann, Flowers.....and even Swanson, Albies, Acuna will be considered veterans. 2 years plus into the majors by next year . That's a great mix of power and speed imo. Scary really. We'd have 5 possible 20+ steal guys, plus 5 possible 30 plus homer guys. Pache and Waters are hitting for avg right now too. I'd hate face out lineup then and even now. Alot of thinking 1-8

Soroka,
Fried
Folty
Wilson
Toukki
Newk
Anderson

A free agent ace and set up guy with money we should have available. Whomever doesn't pan out can be pen material....newk and Toukki now. I can see Folty getting the closer role possibly. He's really good in short spurts just cant grasp the mental aspect of 6 innings of focus. .

metcalfmafia
I've never thought of Folty at closer but I really like that idea.

Pache and Waters have tremendous potential. Cant wait to watch them next year but it would be so strange to not see Nick in right field.
843wolfpacker
Clinched a playoff spot over the weekend. Magic number for division is 4
metcalfmafia
Braves vs. Cards in the playoffs on Thursday...
JocoPack
Keuchel on the bump Thursday
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
KKandDD
Like the move. Then let Soroka go win it in game two.

Trea just had a nice bomb in this NL wild card game
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.