2019 Regional projections Selection Show Noon Monday

13,945 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by packman34
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?

NC State #3 seed in Greenville Regional
pack4life11
Avent's still the coach... I'd say a 3 seed would be us overachieving
Pack31
pack4life11 said:

Avent's still the coach... I'd say a 3 seed would be us overachieving

Like him or not, 3 seed in Greenville would be underachieving based on our history under Avent. No, no championships to speak of, only 1 world series appearance, but we are a 1 or 2 regional seed and in contention to host a regional most seasons than not, IMO
Glasswolf
A 3 seed in Greenville is a joke. We will host this year. To much talent.
JCooke93
Glasswolf said:

A 3 seed in Greenville is a joke. We will host this year. To much talent.
I Hope So
cowboypack02
I think there is more of a likelihood that ECU ends up as the three seed in Raleigh then State ending up at a three seed in Greenville.

In staying that i would make that hour trip to greenville to watch state play
Wolfer79

#4 national seed

Raleigh Regional
NC State
Tennessee
VCU
Campbell

Super Regional
#13 national seed Georgia
unc-ch
Michigan
Samford
Wolfer79

#11 national seed

Raleigh Regional
NC State
Florida
UC Irvine
Elon

Matched in Super Regional
#6 national seed Stanford
Auburn
Fresno State
Navy
Wolfer79

#2 seed in Athens Regional
Georgia #4 national seed
NC State
Nebraska
VCU

Super Regional
#13 national seed West Virginia
Connecticut
Florida
Liberty
Wolfer79

#2 seed Athens Regional
#8 national seed Georgia
NC State
UC Irvine
Harvard

Super Regional
#9 national seed East Carolina
Auburn
Clemson
Campbell
Wolfer79

NC State #2 seed in Greenville Regional
NC State
Iowa
Campbell

Interesting that Campbell is 1-0 vs East Carolina and 1-1 vs NC State this season

Matched in Super Regional with Lubbock Regional
#8 national seed Texas Tech
California
BYU
New Mexico State
Wolfer79
Wolfer79

#2 seed in Greenville Regional
NC State
Illinois State
Campbell

Super Regional
#8 national seed Texas Tech
California
Duke
New Mexico State
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
AlleyPack
So if we're one of the top 16 teams (based on the selection committee's thinking) then we will host a regional?
Is that correct?

We're #15 in today's D1baseball poll (which is featured on the ncaa.com website, so I'm guessing it's something they value).

Wolfer79
d1baseball.com Weekly Chat

May 20

Avent'sAgent: With the domination of UNC in Games 2 & 3 of the weekend series, does NC State have a hosting slot locked up?
Aaron Fitt: I'd stop just short of saying completely locked up, because there are a bunch of strong contenders for those last two spots, and if NC State goes 0-2 in Durham I could see the Wolfpack getting passed over, if somebody else jumps up and takes it. But I really like their chances

wilmwolf
Just thinking out loud, but if we end up in that last hosting spot, we'll most likely end with a pretty difficult group in our regional. I almost wonder if it would be better to be a 2 seed in a weaker regional. I suppose it depends on how much the home field advantage matters and how we match up with the teams we have to play.
JCooke93
I have been saying that for a long time
Wolfer79
wilmwolf80 said:

Just thinking out loud, but if we end up in that last hosting spot, we'll most likely end with a pretty difficult group in our regional. I almost wonder if it would be better to be a 2 seed in a weaker regional. I suppose it depends on how much the home field advantage matters and how we match up with the teams we have to play.

WEEKLY CHAT TRANSCRIPT: Our @KendallRogers and @aaronfitt answered your burning questions earlier today. Here's what they said >> https://t.co/aMaMmwJ1vb https://t.co/LtqTwwpsb7

Rex in Raleigh: Thanks for the great work you guys produce. Does the committee seed the No. 2 seeds like they do the 1s 1-16? For instance, if NCSU is one of the last 1-2 hosts, would it be reasonable to expect a top-20 club like Ole Miss or A&M/LSU that just missed a host to be sent to Raleigh? Or is the seeding still more geographically based?
Kendall Rogers: Rex I do think they try to do that at times, but for the most part, it's all about geography for the most part outside of the No. 1 seeds if there's a good fit.
Bismarck
Yeah, I'd say definitely preferable to host, regardless of the other teams in the regional.

That said, the Super Regional would likely be difficult if we are one of the last couple of hosts.
EthanBarry
Staff
AlleyPack said:

So if we're one of the top 16 teams (based on the selection committee's thinking) then we will host a regional?
Is that correct?

We're #15 in today's D1baseball poll (which is featured on the ncaa.com website, so I'm guessing it's something they value).

Correct.

The polls don't matter at all. RPI is much more significant
EthanBarry
Staff
wilmwolf80 said:

Yeah I would rather State get sent on the road than be #16. Last two times they hosted they kind of backed into it and we saw how that went. So either host because you play well this week and are around 12-14 or don't host because you go 0-2.
Bismarck
^^

I hear ya, but I don't think we've ever advanced as a non-host, have we?

But I agree, we don't want to be backing in and not playing well.
EthanBarry
Staff
Bismarck said:

^^

No but I don't think State has ever had a legit shot to win a road regional. Maybe at Kentucky but that's all I remember
Wolfer79

d1baseball.com

May 21

NC State #13 national seed

Raleigh Regional
NC State
West Virginia
Central Florida
Elon

Super Regional
#4 national seed Georgia
Connecticut
Florida State
Florida A&M
tau06
Wouldn't mind that set up at all. We could come out of that region and super regional
EliteFlamer
I don't get the logic that being a higher 2 seed is better. Would you rather be overall seed #15 paired with overall seed #18 as a 2 seed ? Or would you rather be overall seed #18 (high 2 seed) paired with the #15 as a 1 seed in the same regional?

Home field advantage, playing the 4 seed first, etc. It's a no brainer
Wolfer79
EliteFlamer said:

I don't get the logic that being a higher 2 seed is better. Would you rather be overall seed #15 paired with overall seed #18 as a 2 seed ? Or would you rather be overall seed #18 (high 2 seed) paired with the #15 as a 1 seed in the same regional?

After #1-#16 as hosts, seeding may not be used in #2 seeds

WEEKLY CHAT TRANSCRIPT: Our @KendallRogers and @aaronfitt answered your burning questions earlier today. Here's what they said >> https://t.co/aMaMmwJ1vb https://t.co/LtqTwwpsb7

Rex in Raleigh: Thanks for the great work you guys produce. Does the committee seed the No. 2 seeds like they do the 1s 1-16? For instance, if NCSU is one of the last 1-2 hosts, would it be reasonable to expect a top-20 club like Ole Miss or A&M/LSU that just missed a host to be sent to Raleigh? Or is the seeding still more geographically based?

Kendall Rogers: Rex I do think they try to do that at times, but for the most part, it's all about geography for the most part outside of the No. 1 seeds if there's a good fit
johntom
EthanBarry said:

Bismarck said:

^^

No but I don't think State has ever had a legit shot to win a road regional. Maybe at Kentucky but that's all I remember
TCU?
EthanBarry
Staff
EliteFlamer said:

Just because they are seeded higher doesn't make them better. The last two times state hosted, coastal and auburn were better teams, but the committee decided state had a better resume. I would rather travel as the two seed to face UC Santa Barbara than I would host and see a team like Texas A&M.
johntom
EliteFlamer said:

This. The 3 and 4 seeds are usually a crap shoot so no telling how good the lower seeded teams will be.

The goal should be to host and if we end up with a strong SEC type team as a 2 seed, so be it.
wilmwolf
The goal is always to host. It makes the program look good, brings revenue, extra media attention, etc. But the goal is also advancing, and for that goal, I think I would prefer to be in the weakest regional possible. So the question was, is it better to be the 2 seed in a weaker regional, rather than hosting and getting stuck trying to beat a stacked team like Coastal in 2016 who went on to win the CWS (and yes, if not for the unfortunately timed rain we probably beat them and advance but the point remains). It's likely moot anyway, but I found it worthy of discussion.
Bismarck
^
I think it's a good question. One of the biggest differences though as a host (aside from playing at home) is the opening game against a 4 seed. 4 seeds are typically auto-qualifiers from mid-major conferences. Three seeds are many times Power 5 schools who squeaked in or very good mid-majors.

Of course, we threw that all out the window losing to the 4 seed last year.
wilmwolf
Right, if you don't win the games it doesn't matter, and no matter how you cut it, you're going to have to beat at least one team that is probably pretty good. Based on the information provided here about the way they determine regionals after the 1 seed, it really depends on the eligible teams that are close to you geographically and how good they are.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.